The CDC announced earlier this week that the latest salmonella outbreak is over. The outbreak affected ground beef in the US, which was recalled. However, the agency has warned that a lot of consumers could still have affected beef in their homes.
The beef was sold in over 100 stores in America, including some chain supermarkets. It was produced by manufacturer JBS Tolleson, Inc., of Tolleson, Arizona, and sold as Laura’s Lean, Kroger, or JBS generic.
According to the CDC statement that was issued, when checking their freezers, consumers should be looking for number EST. 267 in the USDA inspection mark. If they can’t find the number there, they should inspect the rest of the packaging as it could be stamped elsewhere.
Salmonella can cause symptoms including abdominal pain, fever, vomiting, and diarrhoea. These symptoms usually start within 72 hours of consuming contaminated food, and usually last between three and seven days overall.
The majority of people who get salmonella recover on their own. Some who have persistent symptoms require hospital treatment; and in rare cases, it can cause severe complications. Those most at risk include young children, the elderly, and people with weakened immune systems.
The CDC has advised consumers that, if they find recalled beef at home, to “not eat, serve, or sell it”. Instead, they should return it to the store of throw it away. They also advise that, as a precaution, consumers should avoid eating undercooked or raw ground beef.
They say that products that are made from ground beef, like hamburgers, should also be treated with caution. They should be properly heated and, ideally, checked with a food thermometer before serving or eating.
In addition to this, anyone preparing meat products should thoroughly wash any surfaces, chopping boards, and utensils that they use. They should also ensure they wash their hands before and after cooking.